POLICY AND FINANCE MINUTES – Wednesday 22nd September 2021

Present:

MembersPresentApologiesAbsent
Chair: Cllr M Horwood Present
Deputy Chair: Cllr V LetchfordApologies
Cllr A SkipperApologies
Cllr J BarnesPresent
Cllr G DarringtonPresent
Cllr J DomiganPresent
Cllr C LeePresent
Cllr J TuckfieldApologies

Also Present:
Cllr L Ball
Cllr P Darrington
Cllr T Searles

Officers:
Assistant Town Clerk – Toni Roast
Responsible Finance Officer – Steve Innes
Sales, Marketing and Democratic Manager – Suzie Barnbrook

Public:
Christine Hudson

11328 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Cllr V Letchford
Cllr A Skipper
Cllr J Tuckfield

11329 MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING
To approve as correct the Minutes of the Meetings held on Wednesday 21st July 2021.
APPROVED & SIGNED

11330 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
None

11331 TO RECEIVE THE MONTHLY FINANCES
Cllr M Horwood thanked the RFO and staff for the improved financial position and maintaining effective cost controls.

Cllr M Horwood is pleased to confirm that The Alexandra Suite is £4000 in profit.

Cllr M Horwood confirmed The Olympic is £8500 in profit.

Cllr G Darrington asked whether we are expected income to be down September onwards due to the road closure and access to The Olympic. Cllr G Darrington said she could not see any signs to say The Olympic is still open and accessible.

Cllr M Horwood suggested to have signs printed and put up to confirm The Olympic is still open for business.

Cllr M Horwood confirmed the softplay has made £1600 and the Barnyard Bus is bringing in a small amount – this reflects a good level of income.

Cllr L Ball questioned the cost of the cess pit and why it is rather high. RFO said this has been raised but haven’t yet quite got an answer to.

The normal sewers costs haven’t gone up, they are still the same price, they have been in previous years.

Cllr L Ball said we should consider looking at CIL funds. Cllr M Horwood said CEO will bring something to the Council.

Cllr Searles asked whether this could be an increase in more people visiting in August.

Cllr M Horwood also said we have revamped the toilets at Swanley Park.

Cllr G Darrington asked why there have been property expenses for property 4 for 3 months. RFO confirmed these will be general property expenses Gas certificates etc. RFO will send breakdown of expenses to Cllr G Darrington.

Cllr M Horwood asked whether we still do the maintenance of the town centre floral displays. Assistant Town Clerk confirmed we don’t do this the flowers are looked after by our In Bloom Contractors.

RFO clarified that the payment of £3000 to KCC was not for stationery it was for lamp post load testing.

RESOLVED – accepted reports A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J

11332 SWANLEY SUNDAY MARKET
Cllr M Horwood to propose the Town Council writes formally to Sevenoaks District Council to give our views regarding the proposed extension of Swanley’s market to a Sunday, in addition to the current Wednesday. The Chair of Policy and Finance to draft a letter on behalf of the Council based on the comments and conclusion of the Committee.
A discussion took place regarding the motion. Cllr Horwood agreed to amend the motion and proposed to defer the matter to the next Full Council meeting. The amended proposal was agreed.

Date of next meeting – Wednesday 20th October 2021

MEETING CLOSED AT 20:01