We have received reports of scam telephone calls targeting residents in Ashford and Tenterden and instructing them to purchase face masks over the phone.
- You receive a telephone call.
- An automated voice claims to be from the Government coronavirus helpline.
- You are told the Government wants residents to wear a face mask.
- To purchase face masks you are told to press button 1.
What to do:
- Do not press 1 – this is a scam.
- The Government has not asked the public to wear masks, at this time.
- The Government would not ask you to purchase items in this way.
- Hang up your telephone.
- For advice and to report call Citizens Advice consumer service 0808 223 1133 or visit their webpages.
- Please warn vulnerable family members, friends and neighbours.
For advice and to report issues to KCC Trading Standards contact
Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133
Consumer Advice scams action line on 0808 250 5050
Monday to Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm.