We have received a report that several people in the Sittingbourne area have recently been sent fraudulent cheques drawn on companies like Sky, HMRC (HM Revenue and Customs) etc.
- Resident receives a cheque which is said to be a refund for an overpayment.
- They are contacted by the criminals within a day or two informing them that the amount refunded was too much.
- They are given account details and asked to transfer the excess by bank transfer.
- After the transfer is complete the cheque bounces as it is a “counterfeit cheque” and the resident loses their money.
What to do:
- Be suspicious if you receive a refund cheque (whether expected or not) and confirm with the actual company that the cheque is legitimate.
- Contact your bank for help and advice if you have deposited a refund cheque or paid out funds against it.
- If you have already been a victim of this type of crime call Kent Police on 101 to report.
- Please warn vulnerable family members, friends and neighbours.