We have received reports of Kent residents being targeted by lottery scams.
How this scam works:
- The victim receives a letter saying they have won a lottery
- The criminals ask for bank account details to pay in the winnings or
- Ask for payment of a processing fee
- The criminals use realistic sounding names of people and recognised brands
- You cannot win a lottery unless you have entered.
- Legitimate lotteries don’t ask you to pay taxes, custom fees, insurance shipping or handling fees before you can receive your ‘winnings’.
- Scammers often ask their targets to send money upfront to them by money transfer.
- Never give out personal information or financial information in response to a cold call whether in person, via telephone or social media.
- If you have already been contacted by these scammers report it to Action Fraud. The information you give to Action Fraud can help track down the criminals.
- If you have lost money to the scammers, contact Kent Police by calling 101
Please warn family members, friends and neighbours.