We have had reports of cold callers in the Dartford area, offering to carry out ‘cross over’ drive way works.
How it works:
- The resident is cold called and offered a ‘deal’ to lower the kerb in front of their house.
- High-pressure sales tactics are used but the installation and adjustments are unlawful.
The right way to have a kerb dropped
- Contact your district council planning department before applying to KCC, you may require planning permission for a dropped kerb.
- Visit KCC website and follow the ‘Apply for dropped kerb’
- ALWAYS refuse on the spot repairs.
- Don’t allow anyone to pressure you into having work done. If you ask them to leave and they don’t, contact the police on 999.
- Legitimate traders would never ask you to go to the bank or cash point.
- Use reputable traders who are members of the KCC Trading Standards approved trader scheme, run in partnership with Checkatrade
- Ask for quotes in writing and check that the tradesperson is from the company they say they are from
- Warn vulnerable family members, friends and neighbours living in the area.
If you feel afraid or threatened by a doorstep caller, phone 999.
Please report any suspicious doorstep callers to us.