Doorstep criminals targeting Kent residents with “cross over” driveway work.
We have had reports of cold callers in the Dartford area, offering to carry out ‘cross over’ drive way works.
How it works:
- The resident is cold called and offered a ‘deal’ to lower the kerb in front of their house.
- High-pressure sales tactics are used but the installation and adjustments are unlawful.
The right way to have a kerb dropped
- Contact your district council planning department before applying to KCC, you may require planning permission for a dropped kerb.
- Visit KCC website and follow the ‘Apply for dropped kerb’
- ALWAYS refuse on the spot repairs.
- Don’t allow anyone to pressure you into having work done. If you ask them to leave and they don’t, contact the police on 999.
- Legitimate traders would never ask you to go to the bank or cash point.
- Use reputable traders who are members of the KCC Trading Standards approved trader scheme, run in partnership with Checkatrade
- Ask for quotes in writing and check that the tradesperson is from the company they say they are from
- Warn vulnerable family members, friends and neighbours living in the area.
If you feel afraid or threatened by a doorstep caller, phone 999.
Please report any suspicious doorstep callers to us.